pam_smbpasswd.so

Chris Stankaitis chris at beowulf.net
Mon Feb 21 19:45:26 UTC 2005

Need some help, for various reasons I wont get into (long story) our
office is using M$'s SSOD to provide password sync between our Window's
user and some of our RH boxes, simple "to shadow file" password syncing
works... but the problem I am having is with the Samba Server....

When I use pam_smbpasswd I can change a password file from Linux's
passwd it updates samba and everything is happy... when a password
change comes in under SSOD it doesn't change the samba password, SSOD is
running as root. and I straced the daemon, to check and see if it's
trying to dump it's privilages, it doesn't apear to be doing that.

so 2 parter question... First does anyone have any idea where I may look
to get things consistant between command line changes and SSOD Syncs...
and  seccond, is there a way to just auth Samba off the shadow file so I
  can ditch the pam_smbpasswd and not have to worry about things getting
out of sync.

--Chris