pam_tally with sshd: ssh password-based failures not tally'd

George Hansper george-lists at anstat.com.au
Fri Jan 7 03:27:19 UTC 2005

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for working on this module. I haven't looked at the code,
but it seems that the 'auth' part of module is not rejecting the
login, but rather just incrementing the counter.

I tried adding 'deny=3' to the line:
	auth       required     pam_tally.so no_magic_root deny=3
but it had no effect.

I'm not sure how the pam_tally module interacts with the faillog(8)
program. They share the /var/log/faillog file, but the command:

	faillog -m 7

would be at odds with the 'deny=3' parameter in the /etc/pam.d/sshd file

Regards,
	George Hansper