Is this a reasonable approach?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Jan 4 09:15:08 UTC 2005

Tomas Mraz wrote:
>>If anyone can give me any insight as to how to avoid the need to the
>>session hook I'd be gratful.
>
> If you look at the pam_tally module - it actually works similarly.
> However it uses account phase for that instead. The problem is that some
> applications can theoretically avoid to use the session phase if they
> don't create a session. Maybe you could call this functionality from
> pam_sm_acct_mgmt too and leave it on the user to which phase he wants to
> put it.

Ah yes - that sounds more sensible, thanks.

> There is probably no way how to avoid the session hook. You could also
> use cleanup function on pam module data because this function has
> parameter with the final success/failure code, but it's called after the
> session is closed and the program can exit (due to program's error or
> kill) and don't call pam_end before that.

Ah, the cleanup hook. I think that would do the trick thanks. I don't
think the case where the program dies without the cleanup happening is
too much of a problem for me so that could be the answer, thanks.

I'll make some changes to the code and run the tests again and then make
a release. Thanks for the help.

--
Andy Armstrong