non-interactively mount windows-based network shares at login

Narayana Pattipati narayana.pattipati at wipro.com
Fri Jan 7 04:06:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

pam_mount is the correct approach for you. I have tried it on my SUSE
linux box and it works well. Regarding documentation, you can have a
look at: http://www.flyn.org/projects/pam_mount/

This is how I set it up on my SUSE box:

a) Installed openssl rpms with libcrypto library
Try finding binary rpms for this. Else, you might find the source rpms
for this at http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.7d.tar.gz. You can
build them.

b) Install pam_mount rpm
In case you don't find binary rpms, try to build yourself by downloading
source rpms from http://www.flyn.org/projects/pam_mount/download.html

c) Edit your login pam config file (e.g /etc/pam.d/gdm, I am using gdm
as login manager). It should look something like this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth     sufficient     pam_unix2.so #set_secrpc
auth     required       /usr/lib/security/pam_mount.so use_first_pass
auth     sufficient     /lib/security/pam_winbind.so use_first_pass
account  sufficient     /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account  required       pam_unix2.so
password required       pam_unix2.so   #strict=false
session  required       /usr/lib/security/pam_mount.so
session  required       pam_unix2.so   debug # trace or none

session  optional       pam_console.so

d) Configure pam_mount to mount a windows share on to a directory (say
   Documents) under the user's home directory. Edit
   /etc/security/pam_mount.conf and add this line at the end:
                                                                                volume * smb WINDOWS_SERVER SHARE_NAME /home/&/Documents uid=&,gid=&,dmask=0750,workgroup=WINDOWS_DOMAIN - -

Regards,
Narayana