pam_tally with sshd: ssh password-based failures not tally'd

George Hansper george-lists at anstat.com.au
Mon Jan 10 02:07:49 UTC 2005

George Hansper wrote:

>    Changing the /etc/ssh/sshd_config setting:
>     MaxAuthTries 1
>    limits the user to 1 try per TCP connection, and brings pam_abl into
>    line with real attempts
>
>    This works for Fedora Core 3 (openssh-server 3.9p1-7)
>
>    For Mandrake 10.1, 'MaxAuthTries N' allows 'N+1' tries, and never allows more
>    than 3 tries anyway. 'MaxAuthTries 1' kicks you out before you start!
>    I'm reluctant to set 'MaxAuthTries 0', even though this works. I though
>    I had Mandrake allowing "N-1" tries, too, though I can't reproduce it for now.

Fedora Core 3 (openssh-server 3.9p1-7) has started giving me the same
strange behaviour as Mandrake:

	MaxAuthTries 1

 > ssh george at 127.0.0.1
Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 2: Too many authentication failures for george

ie before I can enter a password!

If I set:
	MaxAuthTries 2

 > ssh georgeh at 127.0.0.1
george at 127.0.0.1's password:
Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 2: Too many authentication failures for george

ie one attempt.

I have restarted the sshd server at each config change, and I haven't been drinking, either!

Obviously, this ambiguity of MaxAuthTries is a "characteristic" of openssh-server 3.9p1-7

Regards,
	George Hansper