Re: pam_tally with sshd: ssh password-based failures not tally'd

George Hansper wrote:
Fedora Core 3 (openssh-server 3.9p1-7) has started giving me the same
strange behaviour as Mandrake:

MaxAuthTries 1

> ssh george 127 0 0 1
Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 2: Too many authentication failures for george

ie before I can enter a password!

If I set:
    MaxAuthTries 2

> ssh georgeh 127 0 0 1
george 127 0 0 1's password:
Received disconnect from 127.0.0.1: 2: Too many authentication failures for george

ie one attempt.

I have restarted the sshd server at each config change, and I haven't been drinking, either!

:)

Obviously, this ambiguity of MaxAuthTries is a "characteristic" of openssh-server 3.9p1-7

I've got an FC3 box here - I'll have a play with it tomorrow with some debug output just to make sure it's not something silly I'm doing.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net