Re: Problem with firewall?

Andrew Afliatunov wrote:

Authentication fails, and in mail.log I see: -- Dec 24 11:24:15 web imapd[3408]: pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server --

Here I must say, that when I built test Linux server in local network
with the same configuration and test Windows AD server in the same
network, I was able to authenticate in IMAP. The only difference between
WAN and LAN servers is firewall.
So - isn't it enough to open port 636 on it (although firewall log says
that ldap packets go in both directions)?

have you changed the ldap-servers address ;-) ?

are you sure that pam_ldap is using port 636 / SSL ?

are the ports forwarded to the correct machine ?

try to connect to your ldap-server via "telnet remote.server 636"

try to connect to your ldap-server with some command-line tools like "ldapsearch" (on debian this is in ldap-utils; on slackware i don't know) and get some information

in the past, i have had problems with the certificates being not installed on the client-machine (your imap-server)

furthermore, a lot of imap-servers have built-in ldap-support, so you could use this instead of pam. (i guess this is somewhat flamish on this list)

mfg.as.dr IOhannes

-- IEM - network operation center mailto:noc iem at