Slackware PAM, LDAP

All,

I am not up to speed on what reasons PAM is not included in the Slackware
distro, and I've read quite a bit of the posting and etc available on the 'net
about it, but so much is very dated, I am writing to get a leg up on it.

	- is it possible to get it working on Slack without too much work

	- why (really) isn't it in the distro?

Thanks in advance, FYI I will start building and integrating it into a
LDAP/DNS/DHCP toaster soon, as I cant live with the workarounds on a non-PAM
Linux system.

Thanks

T Davis