how to associate PAM module to a service in non-obvious cases..

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Oct 6 23:57:47 UTC 2005

Raj wrote:
> For eg. I don't have any file by name "telnet" under
> /etc/pam.d dir on my Redhat linux. In such cases, how
> do I definitely identify an Entry PAM module for a
> given service?

The mapping from a program to which PAM service name it uses is done by
the program, so you will need to determine it on a program-by-program basis.

In your example, telnet will invoke /bin/login, and that will use the
"login" PAM service.

If an application asks for a PAM service for which there's no specific
configuration then you will get the "other" service, although there is
no way for an application to know that this has happened(?).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.