-lpthread hangs pam application

I have an application that is calling the pam functions (i.e. pam_start,
pam_authenticate, etc.)

When i have it compiled without the -lpthread tag, life is good
everything works.

If all i do is add the -lpthread (NOT calling any pam functions from a
thread) the app hangs when the conversation callback returns.

Even though for this simple application i am not calling any pam
functions from inside a thread, is this normal behavior and should I
move on or is there a work around?

Thanks