Re: -lpthread hangs pam application

Hi Ken,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 03:45:51PM -0700, Ken Partridge wrote:
> I have an application that is calling the pam functions (i.e. pam_start,
> pam_authenticate, etc.)

> When i have it compiled without the -lpthread tag, life is good
> everything works.

> If all i do is add the -lpthread (NOT calling any pam functions from a
> thread) the app hangs when the conversation callback returns.

> Even though for this simple application i am not calling any pam
> functions from inside a thread, is this normal behavior and should I
> move on or is there a work around?

What version of PAM are you using?  Recent builds of Linux-PAM include
implementations of routines like getpwnam() which attempt to enforce thread
safety by using pthread mutexes.  I'm not sure how this would be related,
but I don't see anything else that would be.

Cheers,
vorlon debian org                                   http://www.debian.org/