/etc/shadow and /etc/passwd I/O

Valdir Leite valdirh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 21:05:36 UTC 2005

Hi all,
 I´m studying PAM and now I´m facing a dilemma: I want to create a small
program like "/bin/passwd", to allow one user to change his/her shadowed
password or someone´s password based on pre-defined polices (Ok, I know it
was already built, but I want to know the details abou PAM, GETPWNAM, etc).
 I have found source from shadow-utils, PAM, passwd, et cetera, and in
almost all of them, the I/O handling is made by shadowio.c, passwdio.c or
commonio.c, from "Julianne Frances Haugh" source.
 My questions are:
Do I must get those files and compile them with my own source, or is there a
lib or another way to use functions like spw_update, spw_lock to do the job
?
 How is the "link" between a programa like mine (to allow a user to change
your own password) and PAM ? For example, in Julianne's passwd.c there are a
lot of "#ifndef USE_PAM" but, for what ? I didn't understand the context at
all.
 I'm not sure that my questions are clear, but any help is welcome!
 Thanks in advance,
 Valdir Leite
Sao Paulo
Brasil