Small problem with .htaccess file and require group groupname...

Ross McInnes sysrm at stvincent.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 12:58:37 UTC 2005

1st of all great little mod for apache, works wonders except for....

[Fri Sep 09 13:43:51 2005] [crit] [client 172.16.2.1] configuration error:
couldn't check access.  No groups file?: /

Now, when I looked at the project on sourceforge it says in the .htaccess
file about require user username (which works btw) and then require group
groupname (which doesn't work, see error above)

Bit of background, running rhes3, apache2. My authentication methods are a
little weirder, not sure if they are at fault either...

We have a windows 2k3 pdc, and im using the pam_winbind.so from samba to
authenticate against the active directory. Works great for everything so
far.

If I do a getent group it shows me all groups etc. however I still get the
message above. My /etc/pam.d/httpd file looks like;
#%PAM-1.0
#auth       required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so
#account    required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so
auth       required   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
account    required   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

Again, it works for the require user username , just not the require group
group name. any ideas? Have I got the wrong end of the stick etc?

Many thanks all

Ross