SU to user from NON-root user

Ed Schmollinger schmolli at frozencrow.org
Sun Apr 23 20:16:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:29:12PM +0530, Opesh Alkara wrote:
> Many thanks for reply on command logging....I understood
>
> Please can you provide any pointers related the below stated PAM
> configuration:
>
> " I want to have kind of setup
> > where all my linux users connect to system using their non-wheel usernames
> > and then su to a specific user 'userA'...... without actually knowing the
> password of UserA...pretty much in same way...a user in wheel group can
> switch to any user."

that sounds like a straightforward sudo setup.
1. install sudo
2. add users to some group (group "sumo", in example below)
3. add a line something like this to /etc/sudoers:

%sumo	ALL = (userA) NOPASSWD: ALL

from left to right, anyone in group "sumo" can execute on any machine,
as user "userA", without a password, and they can execute any command.
the man pages for sudoers should have some pretty extensive examples.

--
Ed Schmollinger - schmolli at frozencrow.org - http://frozencrow.org/