Unable to log in with anything but runlevel 1

Oleksiy V. Khilkevich grim at asu.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Mon Aug 7 11:30:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:41:40 +0300, Ignacio Mas Ivars <nacho at kth.se> wrote:

> Hi all,
Hi!

> I don't know where to look for the answer, any hints on what can be the
> problem? I am copying the output of auth.log as well as the relevant
> files
> in /etc/pam.d/. I am using pam 0.79 in Ubuntu (Check libpam version in
> the
> tgz I am sending).

As I can suggest from a bunch of theese lines:

    Aug  4 22:47:52 localhost login[3901]: PAM (login) illegal module type:
@include

Your PAM version doen't know how to handle those lines @include
common-(auth|account|session|password).

I played with this yesterday: i'd ported Kubuntu pam.d service files to
CRUX (http://crux.nu just in case you wonder).

I don't know why this happened to you: maybe you've installed third-party
pam package or else - this has no value now right? :)

You may just change the lines like @include blah-blah-blah to a PAM syntax
e.g

@include common-auth  => auth  include  common-auth
@include common-account  => account  include  common-account

I'd suggest you try this on /etc/pam.d/login first:

---8<---
cp -a /etc/pam.d /etc/pam.d-
cd /etc/pam.d
sed -r -i 's/^@include +common-(auth|account|session|password)/\1
include  common-\1/' login
--->8---

If this helps (you may login on console to a shell prompt), run the
following in /etc/pam.d:

---8<---
cd /etc/pam.d
for _pam_ in *; do
sed -r -i 's/^@include +common-(auth|account|session|password)/\1
include  common-\1/' $_pam_
done
--->8---

I've attached a working version of 'login'.

HTH

--
me