confused about "sufficient" vs. "required"

Christian Seberino seberino at spawar.navy.mil
Fri Feb 3 01:38:27 UTC 2006

Tomas

Thanks so much for your emails!  onerr=success fixed screensaver on
Debian from pam_tally problem!  I am so grateful for your help!
I sent the following email to pam list.  I was hoping you could
take a look at it if you don't mind.

Sincerely,

Chris

------

How come if I change "required" to "sufficient" on the pam_deny
line of common-auth file below it then allows all login attempts to
succeed!?!

It doesn't even care what password is typed!???

[/etc/pam.d] # more common-account common-auth common-password
::::::::::::::
common-account
::::::::::::::
account required        pam_tally.so
account sufficient      pam_unix.so
account sufficient      pam_deny.so
::::::::::::::
common-auth
::::::::::::::
auth    required        pam_env.so
auth    required        pam_tally.so deny=5 unlock_time=900
onerr=succeed
auth    sufficient      pam_unix.so
auth    required        pam_deny.so
common-password
password required       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=12 difok=4
password sufficient     pam_unix.so     md5
password sufficient     pam_deny.so

Chris