mod_auth_pam extended group auth patch

Ingo Lütkebohle iluetkeb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 21:37:34 UTC 2006

Hi Jesse,

thanks for the patch and sorry for taking so long to reply.  The
simple matter is that I can no longer reasonably maintain mod_auth_pam
and this has been the case for quite a while now.

While its no big deal to apply a patch, the version that is currently
released has been tested on a variety of distributions and
authentication settings.  I work in a completely different setting and
on different things nowadays and can no longer perform such testing.
Therefore I could not be sure that a patch does not break something.
Maybe thats being overly perfectionistic but I'm reluctant to "just
apply" patches without testing.  I hope you understand that!

At some time in the past, I had a notice on the web-pages, asking for
a new maintainer.  Unfortunately, no serious offers were forthcoming
(at least thats how it appeared to me), so I took it down again.

One idea is that I could put up a number of patches received on the
web-pages, for application on the users own risk.  I guess this would
be usefull for distributions, who could perform the testing
themselves.  I would do this with reference to the original authors,
i.e. you.  Would that be of interest and acceptable to you?

Cheers, Ingo