pam_ldap - unable to login as local user when LDAP is down

Antony sr.antony at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:59:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a login problem with my LDAP setup.

I am unable to login to a client machine as a locally existing user(except
root) when LDAP server is down.
It works fine when LDAP server is up.

I think the issue is with pam_ldap configuration in the system-auth pam
file. My LDAP server is configured in fC3 and client machines are RH9,
CentOS and FC5.

I searched a lot for a fix to it. But couldn't find a workable solution
other than maintaining a LDAP backup server.

Can anyone help so that this would help me to continue work as a local user
till the LDAP server come up.

Thanks :)