pam_tally & SSH not working properly at all -- FC5T3 w/ pam 0.99

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Mar 5 06:51:48 UTC 2006

Stewart Adam wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm completely confused, maybe it's a bug.
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97416
> I've started a thread there on FedoraForum with more info, but basically
> this is my situation:
> - /etc/pam.d/sshd file:
> -- start --
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       include      system-auth
> auth       required     pam_tally.so onerr=fail deny=3

Does /etc/pam.d/system-auth have any "sufficient" modules?  If so, the
authentication succeeds at that point and never gets as far as pam_tally
when your password is right.

Also, if you're used to pam_stack, be aware that in and the "include"
directive have subtly different semantics.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.