Pam_mount Fedora 5

Prajjwal Devkota prajjwal.devkota at umn.org.np
Fri May 19 20:14:02 UTC 2006

Hi Cristobal,

Thank you very much for your suggestion :).  Once I changed my display
manager from gdm to kdm, I can easily login/logout as many times as I like
without the graphical display hanging.  This is great, as it means that linux
is one step more forward towards user-friendliness for my users (who I am
trying to shift to linux, and they use mapped drives in windows).

However, a new problem has now cropped up, and I was wondering if anyone has
a solution: when the computer is not on the network, the network/server is
down, or the computer is elsewhere at the time, then the server used to
provide the network mounted file will not be available.  The login hangs,
waiting for a response from the server.  I am considering changing the
"/sbin/mount.cifs" line to a custom script which will first ping the server
in question (I will keep ping open in the firewall of course), and which will
mount the share only if the server is reachable.
cifsmount /sbin/mount.cifs //%(SERVER)/%(VOLUME) %(MNTPT) -o
"username=%(USER),uid=%(USERUID))"

However, I am still trying to find any pieces of information that I may be
missing that obviate the need to write such a custom script.  Hope to hear
from you all soon.

Thank you in advance,

Prajjwal