Problem with pam_mkhomedir and ACL

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Tue May 23 20:39:52 UTC 2006

Am Dienstag, 23. Mai 2006 22:20 schrieb Thorsten Kukuk:
> On Tue, May 23, Markus wrote:
> > Hello,
> > we are trying get oam_mkhomedir working with ACL. Unfortunately
> > pam_mkhomedir (version from debian sarge, 0.76) does not  set the default
> > mask right. It ignores our default ACL settings in the parent directory.
> > We intensively googled on that problem, read a lot of source code but we
> > were unable to find the a solution for out problem.
> > Copying /etc/skel manually to the directory works perfectly as well as
> > creating a new directory with mkdir.
>
> pam_mkhomedir doesn't know anything about ACLs. So somebody has to
> implement it first.

pam_mkhomedir don't need to know abot ACLs. pam_mkhomedir does basically the
same steps like the following test program:

#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
        if (mkdir("xyz", 0777) < 0) {
                perror("mkdir");
        }
        if (chmod("xyz", 0700) < 0) {
                perror("chmod");
        }
        if (chown("xyz", 4711, 4711) < 0) {
                perror("chown");
        }
}

If you set the default acls on the base directory, it works.

I tested your scenario on a gentoo-box and it worked like a charm. So, did you
mount your fs with acl-option? Did you compile the kernel-options (ext2 bit
different from ext3) for acls and extended attributes?
ACLs depends on kernel/fs. Which kernel and fs do you use?

--
Wilhelm Meier
email: wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de