pam_mount causes graphical login to hang second time

Prajjwal Devkota prajjwal.devkota at umn.org.np
Fri May 5 04:40:14 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I installed pam_mount (version 0.13.0-3) on my fedora core 5 desktop two
days ago, and I set it up to mount some network shares on our active
directory domain using cifs mount.  My desktop is also joined to the
domain for active directory authentication using winbind.

I am able to login graphically without any problems the first time.  The
relevant shares are also mounted.  When I logout, I can also see that
the shares have been removed (from an ssh login from an adjacent
computer).  However, when I try to login again, I get authenticated, but
my graphical session goes blank, and doesn't even reach the splash
screen.

To fix this, I need to login as root using either a remote ssh session
or the virtual consoles; go to runlevel 3, then back to runlevel 5.
After doing this, I can login once without problems once. However, after
logging out, the same problem repeats.

I thought it might be a problem with the cifs mount/unmount process that
pam_mount was using, so I tried mounting nfs shares only instead.
However, even when using nfs shares, the same issue occurs.

This issue only occurs with the graphical login though.  When I login to
a virtual console, I can easily login/logout as many times as I like.
The same is true with ssh-- for ssh-- even the pam_mount mounted shares
are not unmounted, but I can login/logout as many times as I like.

I use smb4k for network browsing/share mounting, but I believe that I
can configure pam_mount to work correctly, it will be even more
effective in their transition from windows.

I will be happy to provide any detailed information on my setup/log
messages if you want.  Thanks in advance,

Prajjwal Devkota

Message Disclaimer: This electronic message may contain confidential information. If you have received it in error,
please immediately inform the sender and delete the mail and any attachments. Unless it relates to the official business
of UMN, any opinions, views and other information expressed in this document are those of the individual sender.