Including pam_faildelay module in PAM distribution

Bjoern Voigt bjoern at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 12 21:18:29 UTC 2006

Hello!

Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 22, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
>
>> Why we don't include the module pam_faildelay in the standard PAM
>> distribution? This has some benefits:
>>

> I wrote it more or less new using the extended Linux-PAM functions
> and wrote some documentation for it. It is now in the Linux-PAM CVS.

Thank you very much for this integration. I checked out the new module
online here:

    http://pam.cvs.sourceforge.net/pam/Linux-PAM/modules/pam_faildelay/

I didn't made tests, but the code look good for me.

One little thing should be changed: In files README, pam_faildelay.8 and
pam_faildelay.8.xml we have

    AUTHOR
    pam_faildelay was written by Bjoern Voigt <bjoern at cs.tu-berlin.de>.

Thank you, but I am not the author. I sent a link to the website from
Darren Tucker <dtucker at zip.com.au>:

    http://www.zip.com.au/~dtucker/patches/#pam_faildelay

There (in file pam_faildelay.c) you find the right authors:

     * Based on pam_rootok and parts of pam_unix both by Andrew Morgan
     *  <morgan at linux.kernel.org>
     *
     * Portions Copyright (c) 2005 Darren Tucker <dtucker at zip com au>.

>>    * users can find it easier since it's in their distribution
>>    * Linux distributors can configure the applications with fail delay
>>      be default
>>    * the module will be maintained
>>

> Hm, adding it to Linux-PAM CVS does not mean that it will be maintained.
> If nobody maintians it, it could be that it will be, at some point,
> be removed again.

Yes, but I think this module is not very complex, so that's unlikely
that we don't find maintainers for it. For instance I can maintain it,
if nobody else (for instance you or Darren want's to maintain it).

Greetings, Björn