Pam-list Digest, Vol 38, Issue 6

Andreas Schindler schindler at az1.de
Sat Apr 14 17:08:26 UTC 2007

pam-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Subject:
> Tacacs +PAM
> From:
> "Roberto Dud" <roberto.dud at gmail.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:56:22 -0300
> To:
> pam-list at redhat.com
>
> To:
> pam-list at redhat.com

> Message:
> 7
>

> Hi Mrs,
>
> I have a Tacacs server to centralize autentication in my routers,
> switchs, cmts ... And I think I will use this infraestructure to
> centralize my authentication on my Linux Servers.
>
> I found on my seachs on google a PAM module to tacacs.
>
> Anyone know about or use this module?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dud.

Dud,

i suppose you're talking of the tacacs+ client package published by some
Polish guy (don't remember the name
right now). The pam_tacacs module works quite fine. Soem quirks when
using tacacs 'accounting' (not to be confused
with PAM accounting, which is the equivalent to tacacs 'authorize').
There is a drawback in that the module supports only
one tacacs server. The workaround i took, was to stack the module twice,
each one with a different tacacs server.
Don't forget to switch on encryption. My configuration was:

    auth        sufficient   pam_tacplus.so encrypt secret=FarAway
server=10.13.0.22
    auth        sufficient   pam_tacplus.so encrypt secret=FarAway
server=10.14.1.69

BTW the above package includes 'tacc', a small  line-mode tacacs client.
A fine tool when debugging the tacacs environment.

Andreas

--
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Schindler

Alpha Zero One Computersysteme GmbH