pam_unix.so + nsswitch.conf + nis

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Wed Aug 22 05:29:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, Vassilis Vatikiotis wrote:

> The +::::: notation in passwd/shadow filesis used when the 'compat'
> option is used in nsswitch.conf, and I haven't used any 'compat' option
> in nsswitch nor the +/- compatibility notation in passwd and shadow files.
>
> It's not needed anyway since glibc supports NIS lookups. The compat
> option was used when libc5 without NYS support was used in linux, maybe
> a decade ago or something like that.

You are mixing two different things which have nothing to do
together.
libc5 wihtout NYS did not even have a /etc/nsswitch.conf.

And the compat option is not for NIS lookups, it works with
every other service, too.

What you mean is, that the +::::: notation in passwd/shadow files
was used in libc5 without NYS to support NIS, but neither the
+:::: notation nor the compat option is superfluous today.

  Thorsten

GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)