Compiling Linux-PAM on Solaris

Alex Stewart alex at foogod.com
Wed Aug 29 18:57:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:23:04PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I'm interested in seeing Linux-PAM as a whole be portable to other systems,
> but I don't think you'll have an easy time getting the current Linux-PAM
> modules to build cleanly against Solaris libpam; if nothing else, the
> pam_syslog() function is one that was long overdue and restoring the poor
> per-module code that it was designed to replace sounds like a non-starter
> to me.

Umm, I think you misunderstand..  my plan was to use the existing code, just
pull things like pam_syslog() out of libpam into a separate library
(libpam_modutil or something) which could be used on Solaris without including
all of the other standard libpam stuff that Solaris already implements..

I haven't looked in great detail into this, but I don't think it should be that
big a deal to do this reasonably cleanly.. or am I missing something that would make this function difficult to separate from the other stuff?

> > inspection, it doesn't look like this should be too hard.. I've noticed a
> > couple of typedefs and library functions (vsprintf, etc) which are missing
> > under Solaris, but those should be easy to fix.
>
> Sorry, did you mean a different function here than vsprintf?  I can't find
> any references to vsprintf in the current Linux-PAM tree.

Yeah, sorry, that was a typo.  That should have read "vasprintf"..

-alex