Cannot login as non-root user

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:33:12 UTC 2007

Thanks for the response.

> Is your uid actually 0?

I don't understand ! The non-root user account's uid is 1000 and so is
gid. /home/kevin is owned by kevin:kevin with uid:gid of 1000:1000 as is
in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

I just ran a check to ensure that, duplicate uid/gid do not exist and yes,
there are no duplicate ids !!

I tried running "strace login -p kevin". That didn't help me much. I'm no
expert in interpreting in the output of strace. I were just looking for a
file that login would open and you know something obvious, that points at the
discrepancy somewhere.

I'm out of ideas. Any ideas ?

I'm thinking of reinstalling gentoo from scratch, unless this mystery is
solved. Well, this actually is one of the two problems I have. The other one
has to do with hal/dbus. I don't think that'd be resolved soon. Maybe,
re-installation is good idea after all !

Thanks for any help that'd come along