PAM: How to test non-local group membership (LDAP, SQL, ...)?

Brian Schau brian.schau at hp.com
Mon Jun 11 07:59:40 UTC 2007

> You should use the (g)libc functions to determine group membership. You don't
> have to know if the user database is in sql, ldap, db, etc.

Ok, so if I understand you correctly I can use PAM to authenticate the
user (f.ex. in LDAP) and then use the libc functions to verify the group
membership as if that information was present locally on the server?

Now, that is cool!

Thanks for your answer - I'll come back if I have further questions :-)