Re: Checking if PAM is used by login

Thanks, that gives me an indication of PAM activity.

Though I am hoping for something more definitive (in case, for example, the logged activity is old and PAM has since been disabled).

-David

On 6/26/07, Kenneth Geisshirt <kenneth geisshirt dk> wrote:
On Tue, June 26, 2007 10:14, David Resnick wrote:

> Is there any method of checking if the services are compiled to use the
> PAM modules?

First of all, all Linux distributions (to my knowledge Slackware is the
only exception) use PAM for authentication (login) and password changes.

Second, you should take a look at /var/log/message (or similar) where PAM
is write log messages. For example I have the following in my log:

Jun 26 11:10:01 colws01m crond(pam_unix)[5283]: session opened for user
root by (uid=0)
Jun 26 11:10:01 colws01m crond(pam_unix)[5283]: session closed for user root

/kneth