Checking if PAM is used by login

Tobias Schaefer T.Schaefer at science-computing.de
Tue Jun 26 13:07:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I don't follow you. PAM is not a service but a library (with plugins in
> the form of shared objects - .so files). You don't simply disable PAM.
> Take the /bin/login program - it is used for login at the console. Try to
> run ldd /bin/login and see that this program is linked with libpam.so.
> Then check /etc/pam.d/login to see how login is using PAM.

on the other hand sshd could stop PAM authentication due to a
configuration change. The library would still be linked in, but its code
would no longer be executed. (The same could happen with apache and other
programs.)

You could configure a logging module into the PAM stack. Some 10 years ago
I wrote such a module to debug PAM problems. The module is still available
via http://www.rz.uni-hohenheim.de/~schaefer/linux/pam/index.html. But it
probably won't compile out of the box since it was only tested with Linux
distributions that have long since passed away.

Tobias
--

   Tobias Schaefer				Phone	07071-9457-406
   science + computing ag			FAX	07071-9457-411
   D-72070 Tuebingen     Email: T.Schaefer at science-computing.de
         WWW:  http://www.science-computing.de/
--
Vorstand/Board of Management: