telling the difference between login failed or server is down

Andrew Morgan morgan at kernel.org
Thu Mar 15 18:15:22 UTC 2007

The first question is whether the pam_radius_auth module returns
different status in these two situations.

Let's say it returns three things:

  PAM_AUTHINFO_UNVAIL imlpying that the RADIUS server is down.
  PAM_SUCCESS implying that a good password was entered
  * ie., something else which means RADIUS knows it doesn't like you..

The following 'auth' config should work:

auth     [success=done authinfo_unavail=ignore default=die] \
                    pam_radius_auth.so
auth     required   pam_unix_auth.so try_first_pass

I'm not sure whether requiring radius connectivity for the account and
session parts may require some special handling too, but this info
should help get you on the right track.

When you get it working, share your config file.. :-)

More info on the '[...]' config syntax is here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-file.html

Cheers

Andrew