Conversation response deallocation

Ludvig Ericson ludvig.ericson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 14:50:41 UTC 2007

I've been pondering this for a while now, and I can't come up with anything.

When a conversation function is called, the response data is allocated
by the conversation function itself; hence, it should probably be
freed up by that same function.
But the response data has to be returned to pam first, and the
function itself has to return and pam has to process these messages,
so you don't have a chance to free that conversation data unless you
store it in another scope, which would be rather ugly according to me.

Am I missing something here? Does the response argument point to an
already allocated memory region? misc_conv doesn't look like it thinks
so; it allocates it's own memory and sets the pointer to that new
memory region. I couldn't see where they free the data up.