rsh as non-root user

Roger Leonard roger.leonard at ericsson.com
Tue Nov 13 21:03:13 UTC 2007

I have several RH EL systems that all exhibit the same behavior.  I
cannot rsh from one to the other as a non-root user without getting
asked for the pw.  Root works fine.

I have:

Edited /etc/xinetd.d/rsh rlogin and rexec and made disable=no and
restarted

Added rexec rlogin and rsh to securetty

Have + + in the users .rhosts in his homedir (I know its very insecure)

This is my /etc/pam.d/rsh file

#%PAM-1.0

# For root login to succeed here with pam_securetty, "rsh" must be

# listed in /etc/securetty.

auth       required     pam_nologin.so

auth       required     pam_securetty.so

auth       required     pam_env.so

auth       required     pam_rhosts_auth.so

account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

the rlogin file looks the same

I get the following error in messages file

Nov 13 15:23:22 linux8 pam_rhosts_auth[17815]: denied to jblow at linux1 as
jblow: access not allowed

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get non-root users able to use rsh?

thanks