newbie pam user (suse) questions

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:36:10 UTC 2007

so where should a suse user just starting to understand pam start out?

I've read what I can, but just can't seem to figure things out.
simply putting in the auth/account entries in the appropriate /etc/pam.d config file doesn't seem to work.

I'm trying to get either radius or tacacs to work as an authentication method for standard SSH connections,
ie: people using securecrt, putty, etc should be able to login as normal, except radius or tacacs would handle the authentication.

this would be great for centralized user management.

I have another (very detailed) document on setting up ldap authentication, so we'll see how that goes,

but so far it seems most of the Red Hat documentation doesn't apply very well to Suse.

anyhow, I'd appreciate any hints anyone can give.
It'd be nice to see some sample configs so we could know what the basics are supposed to look like.

and i hope this is the right place.