No login prompt! HELP!

Stephen Goggin sgoggin at NetEffect.com
Fri Oct 26 14:34:47 UTC 2007

I've got a PXE server set up, the clients boot, and all seems to be OK.

I get to the point of "Running /sbin/init", and it dies.

I change the inittab to run in runlevel 1, and I get a bash prompt. If I
try to change the root password with passwd, I either get
"Authentication token manipulation error" or "Authentication token lock
busy".

This is booting from NFS so almost everything is read-only.

I've had this fixed once before, but I had to change a few things and
make a new image on the server, and lost the changes I made. Like a
dummy I didn't back it up, nor bookmark the page that had the fix.

I remember commenting out a file in the /etc/pam.d/ directory, and
everything worked fine afterward...

This is rather important, because I need to get about 40 clients PXE
booting ASAP!

Can anyone provide a clue as to what it may have been?

Thanks SO much in advance!

Stephen Goggin

Test Engineer

NetEffect, Inc.