How do I...?

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Mon Oct 29 22:14:07 UTC 2007

1.  Backup /etc/pam.d
2.  Have a bootable CD that you can use to regain access to your system if this
encounters any issues.
3.  Double check steps 1 and 2.
4.  Open 2 root terminals in case you accidentally close one of them
5.  Delete the contents of the /etc/pam.d directory
6.  Create a file named 'other' in /etc/pam.d
7.  Put the following in /etc/pam.d/other

auth              sufficient   pam_permit.so
account           sufficient   pam_permit.so
password          sufficient   pam_permit.so
session           sufficient   pam_permit.so

8.  Test.
9.  If this doesn't work, replace sufficient with required in all lines above.