How do I...?

Stephen Goggin sgoggin at NetEffect.com
Wed Oct 31 19:00:43 UTC 2007

>PAM is used by a number of X applications, including XDM et al. but is
>independant of it.  Whether or not you need xorg is irrelevant for
>setting up PAM.

I never even attempted a correlation between the two... I was stating
what we do and do not need...

>> The problem is that the machine doesn't get that far in the boot
>> process. It gets to "Running /sbin/init" and stops...
>This sounds like a problem with the boot scripts not with PAM.

It's been fixed with a modification to PAM in the past. All the issues
and error messages are 100% identical to before...

>Are you sure that /etc is writeable?  If not that would explain this
>error.  strace-ing the passwd process may also help identify the
>problem.

Yes, I'm sure.

>2. Disabling PAM is relatively easy, someone has already posted step by
>step instructions on how to do this.

Oh? Where? I've Googled for it for days now and have never found one...
Is it compatible with a PXE booting NFS situation?