Password passing

Jonathon Coombes jon at cybersite.com.au
Fri Feb 1 02:47:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am trying a simple PAM program based on the sample in the PAM
manuals, but instead of being prompted for the password, I would like
to pass the password to the PAM authentication mechanism. I have had
a friend say it has to prompt, but I don't see this as being valid.
An example would be a smart card system - the card would supply both
the user name and password without ever being prompted. I presume
this is done through the conversation, but I was hoping for a simpler
solution. An example conversation code piece based on the manual
example would be most appreciated.

Regards
Jonathon