Config files using PAM

Joe_Wulf Joe_Wulf at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 03:13:54 UTC 2008

I've been looking at and using PAM for a little while now as part of an overall
effort within the organization I work for to build a generalized hardened Red Hat
Linux baseline.  I've found the latest documentation dated 16 April (v1.0.1).

I've been looking for a while for documentation that would explain the
implementation of PAM, what configuration files had what options set and what the
rationale has been.  Seems like something would be very valuable, but I am not
able to locate anything like it.  An example would be (under Red Hat Enterprise
Linux AS4, x32 bit) the "/etc/pam.d/system-auth" among many others in
"/etc/pam.d", describing their purpose, usage, structure, limitations, warnings,
gotcha's, etc...

Has anyone seen or have anything like that?

Thank you very much.

R,
-Joe Wulf, CISSP, USN(RET)
 Senior IA Engineer