authconfig (2nd sending)

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 19:19:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 14:36 -0400, Joe_Wulf wrote:
> I would like to know more about 'authconfig' and what it does and why,
> how, etc...

Authconfig is developed currently by me. It is not related to the PAM
project in any other way than that I am also a PAM developer currently.

> I've been developing some configs, interacting with PAM, such as in
> 'system-auth', etc...
>
> The blanket statement in that config file is that when authconfig is
> run it will overwrite
> the manually updated contents.  So, how can I go about keeping my
> changes in
> that file more permanently?  Seems I need to better understand
> authconfig, and think
> I'm looking for more than the man/info pages (and the latest v1.0.1
> PAM docs) say.
>

> Would anyone have more information and/or documentation beyond the man
> page,
> and the PAM docs?

authconfig has some manual pages. See man system-auth-ac if you want to
keep some adjustments to PAM configuration. Also the current authconfig
in Fedora 9 doesn't overwrite all files every time. It will overwrite
only files which are affected by the changes in the configuration.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb