Automatic account creation after authentication

Fabio Pedretti fabio.pedretti at ing.unibs.it
Fri Mar 28 13:19:34 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'd like to use the pam_radius_auth module for authenticating students on several Linux machines against a RADIUS server. It works well for authentication, but there is the limit that user accounts have to be present on the machines, or else the authentication process will fail. This is a problem, since we have thousand of students and several machines.

Note that I am also using pGina to do the same job with Windows machines (which automatically creates the accounts after successful authentication).

What I would like is a module similar to pam_mkhomedir.so that is able to automatically create accounts - what a "useradd myuser" would do - after first successful authentication.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
Fabio