Apache PAM Auth module

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 31 18:57:08 UTC 2008

Kenneth Geisshirt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As far as I can see, the Apache PAM Auth module does not have a
> maintainer. I have a plan to take over as maintainer. Before doing so, I
> would like to ask the Linux PAM list if any of you see yourself as
> maintainer (I don't want to do a hostile take over).

I'm not a maintainer, but I'm happy to see someone taking this.

> The reason for my interest is that I (and a group of friends) have a
> subversion repositories with HTTP access. It seems like a good idea to
> use PAM as part of the .htaccess file.

Yes, it is very handy to be able to have web logins work the same as the
rest of the system authentication, especially if you have 2 or more
mechanisms, like local passwords and a windows domain.  And if you use
account    required     pam_permit.so
for httpd, you can access web services whether you have a local account
or not as long as the authentication passes.  I've always been surprised
that it wasn't set up by default on systems that are otherwise PAM oriented.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com