how to get 'auth' result?

rozelak at volny.cz rozelak at volny.cz
Tue May 13 09:30:50 UTC 2008

Hallo,

I have one simple question. When I develop a PAM module, is it possible
to get back the result of the authentication (access allowed or denied),
when all modules in 'auth' chain are used?

In the PAM module writer guide it is not explicitely mentioned, so I
would like to ask you directly. I understand that 'pam_sm_authenticate()'
decides (for the particular module) if to permit or deny access, but
I need to store the result of the whole auth chain for a further use
in 'pam_sm_authenticate()'. Is 'pam_sm_setcred()' function the right
place for it? If so, what should I check? Could you, please, send me
some hints how to get the overall auth result, or where to look at for
more info?

Thank you very much,
best regards
Dan