A recommendation regarding the files within /etc/pam.d/

I want to create local variants of the contents of /etc/pam.d. I am creating my own system-auth-{foo} and want to the update many of the network services to point to this. This is a straight-forward task, but my concern is over the fact that various packages already own those files. I see that I have three options. I could use a post-install to inplace edit the extant files, which would bust the rpm --verify for some of the packages. I could move the files that exist to .rpmorig, I could move the files out of the way and symlink to the appropriate system-auth-{foo}, or I could leave /etc/pam.d alone and force pam (or a rebuilt pam) to look elsewhere (/etc/pam.d.local/). Any one of these could work, but I am looking for some opinions as to what the best practice would be.

tia,
-mars