A recommendation regarding the files within /etc/pam.d/

Matthew A. R. Sherian mars at photosphere.net
Tue May 20 23:36:25 UTC 2008

I want to create local variants of the contents of /etc/pam.d. I am
creating my own system-auth-{foo} and want to the update many of the
network services to point to this. This is a straight-forward task, but
my concern is over the fact that various packages already own those
files. I see that I have three options. I could use a post-install to
inplace edit the extant files, which would bust the rpm --verify for
some of the packages. I could move the files that exist to .rpmorig, I
could move the files out of the way and symlink to the appropriate
system-auth-{foo}, or I could leave /etc/pam.d alone and force pam (or a
rebuilt pam) to look elsewhere (/etc/pam.d.local/). Any one of these
could work, but I am looking for some opinions as to what the best
practice would be.

tia,
-mars