Pam-list Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1

Andreas Schindler schindler at az1.de
Fri Oct 3 10:59:01 UTC 2008

Dan,

I've been quite deeply involved in the Tacacs+ development about a year ago.
My works targeted to replace Cisco's tacacs server (which is still
claimed 'alpha')
with a completely rewritten daemon under GPL license. Unfortunately the work
was suspended due to chancges in my daily duties

To your problem with pam_tacplus: I'm still using this module
successfully under
Debian 'Lenny', so i suspect the Red-Hat pam environment to cause the
problems.
I suggest you try and exclude bugs in the tacplus library by using the
'tacc' utility
to launch a test:

tacc -T -u username -p password -k secret -s server

On success, you pinned the problem to the pam environment, but the above
message

'tac_author_read: inconsistent author reply body, incorrect key?'

suspects a tacacs configuration error, especially an incorrect key
(secret), which is
CaSe- sensitve!

If you're still stuck, please give me a mail to the address below

Regards

--
Dr.-Ing. Andreas Schindler

PDV Systeme AZ1 GmbH