Pam-list Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1

Nick Owen nowen at wikidsystems.com
Fri Oct 3 18:29:24 UTC 2008

Andreas Schindler wrote:
> Dan,
>
> I've been quite deeply involved in the Tacacs+ development about a year
> ago.
> My works targeted to replace Cisco's tacacs server (which is still
> claimed 'alpha')
> with a completely rewritten daemon under GPL license. Unfortunately the
> work
> was suspended due to chancges in my daily duties
>
> To your problem with pam_tacplus: I'm still using this module
> successfully under
> Debian 'Lenny', so i suspect the Red-Hat pam environment to cause the
> problems.
> I suggest you try and exclude bugs in the tacplus library by using the
> 'tacc' utility
> to launch a test:
>
> tacc -T -u username -p password -k secret -s server
>
> On success, you pinned the problem to the pam environment, but the above
> message
>
> 'tac_author_read: inconsistent author reply body, incorrect key?'
>
> suspects a tacacs configuration error, especially an incorrect key
> (secret), which is
> CaSe- sensitve!

Thanks for the guidance. I was trying to do too much via tacacs.  This
config worked:

auth       include      tacacs
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth

Nick

--
Nick Owen