Linux locked accounts and PAM

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Tue Oct 7 07:34:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 06, Max Bowsher wrote:

> I know about the special behaviour of "!" in a password field when SSH
> is managing authentication itself. My point is that this special
> behavior does NOT exist any more when SSH is authenticating via PAM -
> but I want it to!

This seems to be a special behavior of ssh, I never saw this elsewhere.
But on the other side, everything else uses the password for authentication,
so this was not necessary.

Write your own account module which does the check for you. It's the
same amount of work than to update all pam installations on all machines.

  Thorsten

GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)