pam list size limit?

Wendy Palm wendy at cray.com
Wed Feb 4 23:56:52 UTC 2009

Getent shows the correct group entries, so I think PAM is still the
problem.

I was able to reproduce the whole problem on local SLES9sp2 and
SLES10sp1 systems

I created 4000 users named user1000-user4999 (uid1000-4999)

Users have a primary group of some other group, and the secondary group
of "allowed"

Set up PAM as the following (obviously extremely basic):

/etc/security/access.conf

# allow root from anywhere

+:root:ALL

# the only non-root users allowed are in the group "allowed"

+:allowed:ALL

# disallow all other logins

-:ALL:ALL

/etc/pam.d/sshd

account     required      pam_access.so

On the SLES9sp2 system, I was able to put all 4000 users into the
"allowed" group, and

all 4000 users were able log in with no problem.

I repeated the experiment on the SLES10sp1 system, and ran into a
problem at user1962.

Not only does user1962 have problems, but ALL the users in the group
fail.

add users user1000-user1961 to "allowed" in /etc/group, see user1961 can
log in (from the /var/log/messages file)

Feb  4 17:35:54 src at blox sshd 26 [auth.info] sshd[21697]: Accepted
keyboard-interactive/pam for user1961 from 172.30.31.44 port 23054 ssh2

add user1962 to group "allowed" & try to ssh user1962, then try to ssh
user1961 (which just got in a minute before)

Feb  4 17:36:11 src at blox sshd 53 [authpriv.err] sshd[21791]:
pam_access(sshd:account): access denied for user `user1962\' from
`iss-eth100.us.cray.com\'

Feb  4 17:36:11 src at blox sshd 23 [auth.err] sshd[21789]: error: PAM:
Permission denied for user1962 from iss-eth100.us.cray.com

Feb  4 17:36:27 src at blox sshd 53 [authpriv.err] sshd[21816]:
pam_access(sshd:account): access denied for user `user1961\' from
`iss-eth100.us.cray.com\'

Feb  4 17:36:27 src at blox sshd 23 [auth.err] sshd[21814]: error: PAM:
Permission denied for user1961 from iss-eth100.us.cray.com

"grep allowed /etc/group" shows the whole line, including
user1000-user1962

wendy at blox:~> grep allowed /etc/group | wc -c

8682

"getent group allowed" shows the whole group entry, including
user1000-user1962

wendy at blox:~> getent group allowed | wc -c

8682

I can't find anything else having problems in the system.

I wondered if this might be related to some kind of side-effect of ksh
changing over from pdksh to ksh, but I can't figure out how.

  It seems more like the build Novell did added some kind of limit that
I can't find here.