Can log in with either local(shadow) or ldap password

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Fri Feb 6 08:09:19 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 02:48:59 pm RB wrote:
> Your prior question (about using SSHA hashes) now seems to indicate
> you're wanting to keep the local & network passwords in-sync.  The
> best way would be to use cached credentials (via nscd) and forget
> about doing local users.

Problem is, far as I know, without using nss_cache, or something like it
(libnss-db and friends, etc), you cannot cache credentials in a truly offline
environment like notebooks run into for LDAP credentials using nscd. This
coupled with nscd's track-record or silent failures that cannot be fixed
reliably make the use of synchronized cached accounts a holy grail.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth