Re: Can log in with either local(shadow) or ldap password

Gary Greene <greeneg <at> tolharadys.net> writes:

> Problem is, far as I know, without using nss_cache, or something like it
> (libnss-db and friends, etc), you cannot cache credentials in a truly offline
> environment like notebooks run into for LDAP credentials using nscd. This
> coupled with nscd's track-record or silent failures that cannot be fixed
> reliably make the use of synchronized cached accounts a holy grail.

I agree completely.  Would not trust offline auth to nscd.  Haven't looked at
nss_cache/libnss-db.

I would like to be able to seed by off-line shadow account password from the
LDAP server, hence the other question about supporting SSHA in /etc/shadow.
Anything preventing this other than lack of code?

- Orion